Good goods - Free!
Action on Plastic
PACT has begun a campaign to reduce single-use plastic in and around Penrith, thanks to funding from Cumbria Council's Waste Prevention Fund.
- We've started a Refill Penrith/Cumbria scheme to let you refill a water bottle wherever you are
- And now we'd like you to make some pledges to reduce your use of plastic
- Appleby Apple Day: Tufton Mews: 10am - 3pm 23rd October 2021
- PACT stall in Penrith: Drop in to our monthly stall at the Cornmarket bandstand - next one: 23rd October 2021
- Penrith Repair Café open 10am-1pm Saturday 13th November 2021
- The next PACT get together is on Weds, 20th October.
- The Penrith Community Gardeners meet on Tuesday mornings at 10am at the Salvation Army at Hunter Lane for couple of hours around town of 'green gym' and 'vocal chord' exercise not forgetting smiles and laughter!
- Sign up for our newsletter
Repair Cafés are running in Eden District in Penrith and Alston. If you've got a broken toaster, a jumper with a hole in or a bike that needs fixing, please bring it along and hopefully get it fixed for free.
If you are handy with a screwdriver, a spanner, a sewing machine, or anything else and want to share your skills then get in touch with us. Read Chris' account of the first Penrith cafe and watch some films.
We’re members of a partnership of more than seventy organisations working towards the shared goal of a zero-carbon Cumbria by 2037. The National Lottery's Climate Action Fund is funding the Zero Carbon Cumbria project for five years from 2021 - thanks!
For PACT, it means we can greatly expand on the popular events we run in Eden - from repair cafes to Freegle Give and Takes - and it’ll allow us to explore some exciting new ones, too.
Appleby Edibles returns to the polytunnel! We are all excited that AE is back at the AHC site and all keen to get growing, with an enthusiastic membership currently of 15 people. This is hugely encouraging. Please keep coming forward with your great ideas for improving the organisation.
Regular work days, Tuesdays 10am-12noon.
Environmental action in Eden District
PACT aims to increase our ability in Penrith & the Eden Valley to cope with the challenges of peak oil, climate change and economic sustainability. PACT is an environmental group started in Cumbria in 2008, and is part of the growing transition town network in the UK and around the world. PACT is made up of a group of like-minded and enthusiastic volunteers, committed to making a real difference in the local community.
Penrith Community Gardeners update
We will start gardening again in February 2021 (when weather permits) in the raised beds and peace garden at the Salvation Army in Hunter Lane on Tuesdays from 10am. We'll be gardening there and around town in our other planters for an hour and then meet back at the SA for group coffee at 11am.
Anyone is welcome to join in and help to make our town look even better. Also a chance to grow fruit and veg and be supported by folks who know how to do it! Find us on Facebook
Films and reports
- New films: PACT & Freegle at Penrith Show, Grow your own training course, Visiting Edible Gardens, Installing a Chimney Balloon, Zero Carbon Britain, Appleby Edibles, Community Gardening in Penrith and St Andrews Churchyard
- Photo report for Raised Beds for Food bank at Salvation Army in Penrith.
- Penrith wins trophies and accolades at Cumbria in Bloom 2012 due to our Greening and Garden of Eden projects.
- Pride in Penrith - see the Big Spring Clean film.