Cumbria Organic Gardeners and Farmers is a society for people who are interested in applying the principles of organic cultivation, either as gardeners, smallholders or farmers. It is a local group of Garden Organic (the national organisation previously named the Henry Doubleday Research Association).
We practise and promote practical organic growing methods and are a network of like-minded people. Our meetings are approximately monthly and include garden, small-holding and allotment visits, a seed swap, social events and talks. We regularly take part in events such as Carlisle Gardening Clubs’ plant sale and Apple Day at Acorn Bank.
We produce a quarterly newsletter which provides a link between our many diverse interests. It contains up to date information about our events and practical advice which reflects local knowledge of organic growing in Cumbria.
Our annual subscription is £7.50 per household. Subscriptions from new members who join in October, November or December run until the end of the following year.
Diary of COGF Events in 2018
- Sunday 14th January, 2.00 pm - Seed Swap, Social and Photographic Competition near Carlisle
- Sunday 25th February, from 10.00 am until 2.00 pm, Potato Day at Caldbeck Parish Hall
- Saturday 24th March, 2.00 pm, Talk on Composting near Carlisle
- Sunday 10th June, from 2.00 until 6.00 pm, COGF at Open Farm Sunday, at Susan’s Farm, The Croft, Houghton
- Sunday 17th June, from 12.00, mid-day, Visit to member’s garden near Carlisle
- Sunday 29th July, 2.00 pm, Workshop on crop protection near Kirkoswald
- Saturday 22nd and/or Sunday 23rd September, Trip to gardens in the Tyne Valley
- Sunday 21st October, Visit to a member's farm, near Cockermouth
- Wednesday 24th October, The Magic of Soil lecture, Newton-Rigg College
- Sunday 18th November, 2.00 pm, AGM at the Evergreen Hall in Penrith -with talk on ‘Foraging in the garden’ by Jane Maggs of Wild and Fruitful.
If you would like to know more about these events, join COGF or just want to know more about us, please contact the Membership Secretary:
To send a message by email, please contact us and select category "Cumbria Organic Gardeners and Farmers".