Cumbria Organic Gardeners and Farmers is a society for people who are interested in applying the principles of organic cultivation, either as gardeners, smallholders or farmers. It is a local group of Garden Organic (the national organisation previously named the Henry Doubleday Research Association).
We practise and promote practical organic growing methods and are a network of like-minded people. Our meetings are approximately monthly and include garden, small-holding and allotment visits, a seed swap, social events and talks. We regularly take part in events such as Carlisle Gardening Clubs’ plant sale and Apple Day at Acorn Bank.
We produce a quarterly newsletter which provides a link between our many diverse interests. It contains up to date information about our events and practical advice which reflects local knowledge of organic growing in Cumbria.
Our annual subscription is £7.50 per household. Subscriptions from new members who join in October, November or December run until the end of the following year.
Diary of COGF Events in 2020
- Sunday 19th January 10.30 a.m. - Joint pruning event with North Cumbria Orchard Group, Curthwaite
- Sunday 9th February 1.00 p.m. - Committee meeting, Thursby Village Hall
- Sunday 9th February 2.00 p.m. - Seed Swap and Winter Social, Thursby Village Hall
- Sunday 23rd February 10.00 a.m. until 2.00 p.m. - Caldbeck Potato Day, Caldbeck Parish Hall
- Saturday 14th March 1.30 p.m. - Apple tree grafting at Newton Arlosh, Kirkbride
- Saturday 21st March - Apple tree grafting near Kendal (in conjunction with Green Footsteps)
If you would like to know more about these events, join COGF or just want to know more about us, please contact the Membership Secretary on firstname.lastname@example.org: