Cumbria Organic Gardeners and Farmers is a society for people who are interested in applying the principles of organic cultivation, either as gardeners, smallholders or farmers. It is a local group of Garden Organic (the national organisation previously named the Henry Doubleday Research Association).
We practise and promote practical organic growing methods and are a network of like-minded people. Our meetings are approximately monthly and include garden, small-holding and allotment visits, a seed swap, social events and talks, as well as taking opportunities at relevant public events to provide information about growing organically and our group.
A list of our events in 2022 is given below, as an example.
We produce a regular newsletter which provides a link between our many diverse interests. It contains up to date information about our events and practical advice which reflects local knowledge of organic growing in Cumbria.
Our annual subscription is £7.50 per household. Subscriptions from new members who join in October, November or December run until the end of the following year.
Diary of COGF Events in 2022
- Sunday 6th February 2.00 p.m. – Seed Swap and Social, Penrith
- Sunday 27th February 10.00 a.m. until 2.00 p.m. – Potato Day at Caldbeck
- Sunday 13thMarch 11.00 a.m. or 2.00 p.m.– Apple tree grafting at Low Stanger Farm
- Sunday 3rd April 2.00 p.m. – Visit to Sprint Mill, Nr Kendal
- Sunday 15th May 10.00 a.m. until 4.00p.m. – Plant & Food Fair Hutton-in-the-Forest
- Sunday 5thJune (time TBC)– The Big Jubilee Lunch, Bitts Park, Carlisle
- Sunday 12th June 10.00 a.m. until 6.00 p.m. - COGF Plant stall at Open Farm Sunday, Susan's Farm, Houghton
- Sunday 24thJuly 2.00 p.m. – Midsummer visit to the garden of members at Drybeck
- September, date TBC– Visit to the garden of members near Armathwaite
- Sunday 2nd October 10.00 a.m. until 4.00 p.m. – Apple Day at Hutton-in-the-Forest
- Sunday 20th November 2.00 p.m. – AGM at Braithwaite Institute
If you would like to know more about these events, join COGF or just want to know more about us, please contact the Membership Secretary on firstname.lastname@example.org