Cumbria Organic Gardeners and Farmers is a society for people who are interested in applying the principles of organic cultivation, either as gardeners, smallholders or farmers. It is a local group of Garden Organic (the national organisation previously named the Henry Doubleday Research Association).
We practise and promote practical organic growing methods and are a network of like-minded people. Our meetings are approximately monthly and include garden, small-holding and allotment visits, a seed swap, social events and talks, as well as taking opportunities at relevant public events to provide information about growing organically and our group.
A list of our events in 2023 is given below, as an example.
We produce a regular newsletter which provides a link between our many diverse interests. It contains up to date information about our events and practical advice which reflects local knowledge of organic growing in Cumbria.
Our annual subscription is £7.50 per household. Subscriptions from new members who join in October, November or December run until the end of the following year.
Diary of COGF Events in 2023
- Sunday 5th February, 2.00 pm – Seed Swap and Quiz at The New Fire Station, Penrith
- Sunday 26th February from 10.00 am until 2.00 pm – COGF at Potato Day, Caldbeck Parish Hall
- Saturday 18th March from 9.30 am to 12.00 pm – Apple Tree Grafting, Staveley, run by SENS/SLOG
- Wednesday 19th April, at 10.00 am and 2.00 pm – Visit to Renewi Recycling Centre, Hespin Wood, Rockcliffe, Carlisle
- Sunday 14th May, from 10.00 am until 4.00 pm – Plant sale, Hutton in the Forest
- Sunday 11th June, from 10.00 am until 6.00 pm - COGF at Open Farm Sunday, at Susan’s Farm, The Croft, Houghton
- Sunday 16th July, at 12.30 pm – Midsummer visit to two gardens near Appleby
- Sunday 3rd September, 1.00 pm – Visit to allotments in Carlisle
- Sunday 1st October, from 10.00 am until 4.00 pm – COGF at Apple Day at Hutton in the Forest
- Sunday 19th November, 10.00 am until 4.00 pm – AGM at the Braithwaite Institute, preceded by a talk in the morning and a shared lunch. The AGM will take place at 2.00 pm.
If you would like to know more about these events, join COGF or just want to know more about us, please contact the Membership Secretary on email@example.com